Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Reader Responses

I received some warm responses to CRIB. (Several friends have told me politely, but pointedly: I don't blog. I didn't either until Trevor set this one up last year, and even then after a fairly lonesome month of posting I wandered off for a while.)
However, via blog or email,thank you for the kind words. And, yes, this story is part of a larger collection Tales of Brooklyn that I wrote in the course of the decade we lived fulltime in Vermont.
And thank you to Helen Jahan, the only Heavy Metal student in my "Arts and Education" course at Brooklyn College for taking the time to read WOLF and critique:
(Grades are already in, so I accepted the kind words
as well as the criticism as evenhanded!)
The book is amazing i must say. i love the way you draw the readers in with the descriptions.. while i was reading it i felt like i was in it it felt so real. I loved the starting lines where Adam starts off with "I'm not a geek, I'm not a jock, I'm not a goth. I'm just a guy"... this automatically drew me in; It captured my attention more. But then when i was got into the part with the conversation with the girl i did feel a bit dry but the rest of the book made up for it. The relationship between the uncle and him is amazing and funny in away because they both seems stubborn at times and does not want to show their true feelings, at least that the impression i got. i was surprised when i read the part when he met his dad in a ghost form....which was shocking and sad at the same time. i felt really bad for him. The ending was a bit predictable but its understandable because this book reaches more out to the teen generation. over all this is an extraordinary book. i am glad i was able to read it...I was able to connect to the musicians that were mentioned here so therefore I'm sure all the teen out there would feel the same. thank you very much for letting me read this book....it was a perfect get away from reality!!!

Happy holidays!

3 Comments:

At 6:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The article is really cool. I think it comes across clear and well written. Now you just need some more press and before you know it, they will be making a film!

Didn't know you have another book coming out in feb. Tell me more. Maybe you told me and I just didn't catch it.

Don't know if Ben remembered to tell you, but I'm reading Wolf and I really like how you did the dialoguing. I think it flows really well, and I sure
get the feeling that I'm part of the conversation, rather than overhearing it. I really like the part how you introduced the father, and then how you let us know he was really dead. I love those lines about taking the photo
and not seeing the dad. But going ahead with it anyway as if he was really there.
I like your writing rythmn in this book. As I keep reading I will send
comments.

 
At 6:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw the article it's really cool. I think it comes across clear and well written. Now you just need some more press and before you know it, they will be making a film!

Didn't know you have another book coming out in feb. Tell me more. Maybe you told me and I just didn't catch it.

Don't know if Ben remembered to tell you, but I'm reading Wolf and I really like how you did the dialoguing. I think it flows really well, and I sure get the feeling that I'm part of the conversation, rather than overhearing them. I really like the part how you introduced the father, and then how you let us know he was really dead. I love those lines about taking the photo
and not seeing the dad. But going ahead with it anyway as if he was really there.
I like your writing rythmn in this book. As I keep reading I will send
comments.

 
At 6:28 AM , Blogger Eben Reilly said...

RANDEE--

Up early this morning.
Had a great time with you and Patrick and Tola--really enjoyed the conversation.

And I do so appreciate thekind words you sent concerning WOLF. If you'd like I'll send you a few chapters of that next novel,ZOMBIE GIRL. Essentially it's a ghost story also set in West Raven in a group home for teenage girls. On one hand it's just a good ghost story, on the other it deals a lot with cutting and incarceration, and the power of poetry to save lives.

But like I said, it's just a good ghost story.

And also filled w. good poetry. ZG started as a literary game between myself and Mel Glenn, a friend and author of 14 YA poetry/novels.
In the course of about a year, our poetry exchange grew into this novel. (check out his site: www.melglenn.com)

Anyway, thanks for the message and the visit!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home