Sunday, August 19, 2007

On the Verge of Seeking an Agent...

To blog or not to blog. That's been my ongoing question about this web page. Unlike most bloggers I feel no need to grab the mike to address the crowd. And although I sometimes glance down at the modest number of hits this page has had, and pretend that someone out there is listening, I am well aware that I'm singing in the shower.

But singing in the shower is the only place I dare to sing.

Except for once when Ben was little, barely three, sitting at the kitchen table across from me while I peeled carrots, closed my eyes and broke into a doleful Irish ballad. Having little kids gives one plenty of freedom to do things like sing out of the shower. Anyway, when I opened my eyes and returned to my peeling, Ben looked at me and said, "That was beautiful."

A moment never to be forgotten as I will never again in my life hear such a heartfelt ( and wrong) critique of my voice.

Right now I've decided to take a risk and sing out of the shower and send off two manuscripts
one YA Novel: End of an Irish War and one Middle Grade Reader : First Kiss at Mantis Cafe to prospective agents. I suppose that why I am reiminiscing about unconditional approval: bracing myself for the avalanche of rejections.

However, as I learned with WOLF, all it takes is one admirer. It's been a while since I put any work out into the field: wish me luck.

5 Comments:

At 2:53 PM , Blogger Sheela Wolford said...

You inspire me.

About Ben's remark about your singing: lovely. I have one for you, though. When Leila was about 6 and Sarah 2, we were driving down the street and a song came on the radio that I loved. I started singing it, thinking my girls were anamoured with this moment. When I was done, Leila said, "Mom?" I said, dreamily, "Yes?"

"Don't sing anymore.

 
At 3:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course we want to write, write, write and to hell with the world at large.

But at some point we have to seek approval (and representation)

Good luck in your search!

Lotte (remember me?)

 
At 6:32 PM , Blogger Sheela Wolford said...

Throw your two pieces out onto the sea, dear Eileen! Both will float! Beautifully float!

 
At 7:14 PM , Blogger Eben Reilly said...

Sheela-- You are an amazing friend.
Thanks for the ongoing moral support-- and always leaving a note when you stop by!!

Next we have to find you one...

 
At 11:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any luck?

Lotte

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home